Option 1: Students sign up directly
For a course:
Here are instructions you can provide to the students:
- Go to your course page [educator to provide course link*] and click join as a student. If you have not created an account yet, click sign up to join and create a student account.
- When prompted, enter your access code [educator to provide code found in course's students tab*]
- Go to the projects tab, click on your assigned project then click start this project to create a new team or join an existing one, and introduce yourself to the employer.
For an internship program:
Projects must be accepted by an educator before students can access them. Here are instructions you can provide to the students:
- Sign up to Riipen as a student.
- Fill in the onboarding steps. Tell us what categories of projects you are interested in will help us to recommend more relevant content.
- Select: complete a project for an internship program.
- Search for your school by name. You will see all internship programs that are active at your school.
- Select any internship program that is in your area of interest or study.
- Click join as student and enter the access code: [educator to provide code*]
- You can now view all projects under the projects tab.
- Click apply to submit an application to the employer on any project that interests you. You can apply individually or as a team.
Note: The access code can be found on the students tab of your course/internship page under invite students.
Option 2: Inviting students to teams
As an educator, you can invite students to projects and form their teams, if you prefer to have a higher degree of control on team formation.
- Click invite students on the student tab of your course.
- Then click invite and create teams.
- Follow the steps to create student teams.
- Students can then be provided the instructions below.
- Look for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org inviting you to join a team on Riipen. Click the sign up link in that email to create a student account. Make sure to use the email you were invited with to create your account.
- You have now been added to the team, and can view your team in your dashboard.
- On the team page you can view upcoming milestones, the project content, and your team members. Select start this project when it is time to introduce your team to the employer. This creates a message thread with the employer which you can access from your team page.
For projects under 4 weeks, unpaid experiences, and team projects, there is typically no formal interview step. You may provide both parties an option to refuse a match, but most employers would prefer to be assigned a student than go through a full interview process for a short term, unpaid experience.
For longer projects and paid experiences, an interview is usually expected. We recommend interviews be completed in a linear process:
- Students view approved companies on Riipen and rank their preferences.
- The educator assigns students to companies for initial interviews based on those preferences.
- The employer and student are introduced, and an interview is held.
- Both parties determine if they would like to move forward. They are given a short, fixed amount of time to make their decision (e.g. 1 day).
- If not, the company is matched with another student.
- Employers should only have to interview a maximum of 3 students.